CFC Shoots Project
Title of the Project: Transfer of Technology in Bamboo Shoot Production, Processing and Marketing from China to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka
Sponsoring ICB: International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
Location: Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and China
Project Executing Agency: International Centre for Bamboo and Rattan (ICBR)
Supervisory Body: International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
National Partners: Bangladesh Forest Research Institute (BFRI)
Industrial Technology Institute of Sri Lanka (ITI)
Project Rationale and Objective:
Bamboo shoot industry is easy to introduce and be adopted by developing and least developed countries because of its relatively simple technology, low level of automation and inputs for plant establishment. Furthermore, bamboo shoot processing is essentially a labor-intensive industry. It has obvious effect on employment and income generation for small farmers, which has been successfully proved in China.
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have bamboo species similar to those in Thailand and south China, their bamboo shoot processing and trade are far below the potential level. The proposed project targets at the village level production and processing of bamboo shoot, with the objectives of improving productivity, quality, value-addition, developing new products and tapping international markets.
The goal of the project is to diversify bamboo industries in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka by introducing simple techniques of bamboo shoot production and processing and establishing international standards for bamboo shoots production and trade.
The broad objective of the project is to develop diverse bamboo shoot industries, promote bamboo shoot production, processing and marketing for poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Specific objectives of the project would include:
• Selecting local and introducing foreign productive and palatable species/varieties, establishing pilot bamboo shoot plantations in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka;
• Setting up small scale bamboo shoot processing demonstration plants in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka;
• Introducing international standards;
• Training of personnel and transfer of technology for bamboo shoot production, processing and marketing to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka;
• Developing and disseminating a model for transfer of technology in bamboo shoot production and processing;